Our Wedding Day
This is an original photo taken at our wedding and is from the one and ONLY roll of pictures we have from that day. It was given to us in a roll straight out of the camera after the folks at the little wedding chapel by the freeway took them. (Notice by the date on the photo that it was a couple of months before we had them developed.) Those were the chapel's decorations which they have ready for couples who stop by to get married. As we left the chapel they handed us the roll of film saying, "Here are your wedding pictures."
Oh yes! -- Our wedding was a hoot -- as our marriage has been ever since that great day!
Things people find amazing about our marriage:
1. We were engaged for only five days. Jerry asked me to marry him on a Monday and said, "Let's get married this weekend."
I answered that you can't decide on a Monday and get a wedding together by the weekend.
He replied, "You hide and watch!"
I agreed that if he could do it, I was game.
It was a wager of sorts and we both came out winners. We married on a Friday night so I could get the day off with pay at the elementary school where I was teaching.
2. We met only six months before our wedding. Not only were we engaged for only 5 days, but also we had known each other for only 6 months! After such a quick start, we each consider ourselves quite lucky to have found the other and managed to have a fun and fulfilling marriage for 44 years.
Praise be to God that we started our journey with a prayer.
Things people think are funny about our wedding:
1. We prayed for fried chicken. With our hands on top of one another's, the minister prayed so-o-o-o long that I wiggled mine, hoping to jar him out of his reverie. He drug it out so much that at last he was praying, "May they have fried chicken for Sunday dinners." Oh my.
2. We got a parting gift. Just before we went out the door, they gave us a gift. It was a bag of sample products - washing powder, lotion, toothpaste, etc. - like you'd get from a welcome wagon or something.
3. Will it be my wedding dress or my bathing suit? We went to Galveston for our honeymoon - well, we only had the weekend off from work! I forgot to bring my hanging clothes.When we started to go out for dinner that night, I had only my suitcase so my choice of attire was either my wedding dress or my bathing suit. I chose the dress - sans veil! (P.S. My brother met us the next day with my other clothes.)
4. Are we fools? The morning oafte our wedding ceremony was April Fools Day! Since we had our funny little wedding at that funny little chapel by the freeway -- and since we woke up April Fools -- we sometimes wondered if we had really gotten legally married or not. (We later got our processed marrieage license in the mail from the court so we suppose we did get legally married???)
(Click on Images to get a better look.)